If you’ve been in a car accident, many things might be running in your mind. Feeling overwhelmed and confused are natural responses to such an experience. Still, it’s important that you know your rights and understand how to navigate any potential claims process. You may feel scared due to how unfamiliar this process is, but don’t worry.
We created this guide to empower you with knowledge of the legal aspects of auto accident insurance. We believe individuals should have access to clear information about their rights surrounding car accidents to make the best decisions as they go through the unfortunate process. Keep reading to learn more.
Common Causes of Car Accident Claims
Vehicle accident claims can arise from a variety of situations, including:
- Distracted driving: such as texting or eating while driving.
- DUI: driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Speeding: driving above the posted speed limit.
- Reckless driving: such as weaving in and out of traffic or ignoring traffic signals.
What Does Car Insurance Cover?
Car insurance policies vary but typically cover some or all of the following:
- Liability: covers damages to other people and their property if you’re at fault.
- Collision: covers damages to your vehicle in an accident.
- Comprehensive: covers damages to your vehicle from non-accident-related incidents, such as theft or weather damage.
Types of Car Accident Compensation
There are several types of car accident compensation you may be entitled to, including:
- Medical expenses: compensation for any medical bills incurred due to accidents, such as emergency room visits, hospital stays, surgery, and physical therapy.
- Property damage: compensation for any damage to your vehicle or personal property.
- Lost wages: compensation for any wages lost due to missed work or injuries sustained.
- Pain and suffering: compensation for the physical and emotional pain you’ve experienced due to the accident.
Insurance Requirements In Maryland
Drivers are required by the state of Maryland to have liability insurance with the following minimum coverage:
- $30,000 for bodily injury per person
- $60,000 for bodily injury per accident
- $15,000 for property damage per accident
If you’re injured in a vehicle accident caused by someone else’s negligence, their insurance should cover your damages up to their policy limits.
Get Expert Legal Advice For Your Car Accident Case
Car accidents are shocking experiences that can leave you lost and uncertain about how to proceed. Having someone on your side is essential to help you get the compensation you deserve. You can rely on The Valente Law Group for guidance whenever you need expert legal advice.
For over 25 years, we’ve helped dozens of Maryland residents get compensation. You might worry about the situation, so we’re committed to standing by you. To get our help, simply:
- Contact us about your car accident
- We’ll review your situation in a free consultation
- You enjoy a professional representation
Avoid suffering further losses after your car accident. With The Valente Law Group by your side, you can enjoy the expert help of our car accident lawyer services.